SWALLOWS AND AMAZONS TOURS
AmazoniaSwallows and Amazons is a Brazilian adventure tour company run by the husband and wife team of Tania and Mark Aitchison. No other tour company in Brazil offers the variety of small group adventure tours and services that Swallows and Amazons do. In 2021 Swallows and Amazons is celebrating 29 years of dedicated service to the adventure traveler seeking authentic and responsible tour experiences in Brazil and in particular the Brazilian Amazon. Besides offering traditional hotel, airport transfer and city tour services Swallows and Amazons specializes in high quality, small group, river and rainforest tours of the Brazilian Amazon beyond this historic city of Manaus (Amazonas state). In Amazonia we offer 4 different types of tours for all interests and budgets.
1. RiverboatThe backbone of Swallows and Amazons has always been our classic riverboat tours. Traveling on the Amazon and Negro rivers and through the Anavilhanas Archipelago National Park (an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2003) travelers enjoy basic comforts in a regional riverboat complete with captain, cook and guide. Facilities include bathroom and shower, hammocks or day beds, kitchen, dining area and observation deck. Longer riverboat tours feature destinations such as Jaú National Park (an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000), the Branco River and the town of Barcelos.
2. HouseboatSince 2002 Swallows and Amazons has been offering tours aboard houseboats with cabins, beds and air-conditioning*. This kind of boat offers travelers the additional comfort they require at prices comparable to our riverboat tours. All-inclusive tour programs begin every Monday (3 and 6 days) and every Wednesday (4 days) to explore the middle Amazon River and lower Negro River.
• air-conditioning is NOT available 24 hours-a-day…it is used for part or all of the night as per conditions and/or the request of our guests.
3. Jungle HotelSwallows and Amazons offers tour programs to all the best lodges in Brazilian Amazonia. Lodges such as Malocas and Juma, fellow ABETA members, feature private bedrooms with bathrooms, dining room, observation towers and beautiful views of the surrounding river & rainforest. Lodge tours are recommended for those who prefer a lodge-based rather than boat-based tour. Swallows and Amazons also sells tours to these other lodges in the area (Pousada Amazonia, Ariau Jungle Towers, TIWA Lodge, Mainan Lodge, Anavilhanas Lodge and Uakari-Mamiraua Lodge).
4. Specialty Tours
Short ToursFor the tourist with little time in Manaus- the businessman, for example, or “urban” tourist who prefers to spends nights in the city and still get to know the wonders of the Amazon Rainforest, and for older tourists or those with physical limitations Swallows and Amazons offers a variety of “short tours”: 3 hour city tours each with a different theme, 6 and 12 hour riverboat tours to the Amazon and Negro Rivers, and daytrips by bus to other municipalities in the state of Amazonas, such as Presidente Figueiredo, Novo Airão and Manacapuru. These tours are also excellent options for local and budget tourists.
Sport FishingIn recent years Brazil’s Negro River has become a “mecca” for sport fisherman from around the world seeking to catch trophy-sized peacock bass (known locally as Tucunare). Professional outfitters are now charging more than a thousand dollars a day in some cases for the privilege of fishing here. In keeping with our stated purpose of providing quality tour products at fair prices Swallows and Amazons has, since we began, offered budget-priced fishing excursions to the same rivers the pros visit. In 2007 Swallows and Amazons opened their own rustic fishing camp on the Cuieiras River, a tributary of the lower Negro… only a half day from Manaus city where amateurs and professionals alike can catch “the big one” in one of our no-frills 3-to-6 day fishing packages. With 7+ days our boats take fisherman farther up the Negro River to fish rivers like the Jauaperi, Unini and Araca near the picturesque town of Barcelos.
Bird WatchingThe area around Manaus city is one of the richest birding areas in the world. Swallows and Amazons offers two distinct birding programs: the first is boat-based (one of our Riverboats or Houseboats) and features the floodplains and flooded forests of the Amazon and Negro Rivers, and the Anavilhanas Archipelago; the second program is land-based (lodge) and features the forests, caves and waterfalls of the municipality of Presidente Figueiredo (107 km north of Manaus).
TrekkingIn 2007 Swallows and Amazons became the first operator in the state of Amazonas to offer a true “trekking-only” program in the Amazon Rainforest. For the traveler seeking a rugged type of tour Swallows and Amazons offers a number of 4 and 6 day trekking programs featuring different conservation areas within the state. Swallows and Amazons also offers short hikes into the rainforest around Manaus city (half day walks through the Public Park at the INPA Research Institute or the Adolpho Ducke Nature Reserve, and full day treks to the Tupe Sustainable Development Reserve – RDS Tupe).
KayakingIn 2008 Swallows and Amazons introduced the first kayaking-only tours on the Negro River, featuring the Anavilhanas Archipelago and surrounding tributaries of the Negro River State Park. Swallows and Amazons offers 4 and 6 day programs to kayakers of all abilities. Swallows and Amazons also offers short kayaking trips through the rivers and flooded forest near Manaus city (half and full day trips to the Tupe Sustainable Development Reserve- RSD Tupe and Lake Januari Area of Environmental Protection- APA Januari)
Tree-climbing and Survival TrainingSwallows and Amazons also offers half and full day trips to climb into the treetops or learn about medicine plants, secret foods and survival tools of the Amazon rainforest.
Plane Tickets and All-Brazil Programs
Swallows and Amazons offers a full range of tourist products to the traveler visiting Brazil. Besides our specialty tours in the Amazon, southern Pantanal and northern Sabana with the RASAN Group* Swallows and Amazons offers a selection of tour services in a variety of other locations in Brazil including the island paradise of Fernando de Noronha National Park (Pernambuco state), Lencois dos Maranhenses National Park (Maranhao state), Chapada da Diamantina National Park (Bahia state), Serra dos Orgaos National Park (Rio de Janeiro state) and Foz do Iguaçu National Park (Rio Grande do Sul state).
• The RASAN Group was formed in 2007 and represents the ecotour operations of Roraima Adventures (Boa Vista, Roraima), Swallows and Amazons (Manaus, Amazonas), and Natureco (Cuiaba, Mato Grosso).
Swallows and Amazons also provides professional guide services for travelers wishing to observe the impressive number of birds in these selected regions, and for those interested in catching trophy sized Peacock Bass and other sport fish in the Amazon and Pantanal.
Finally Swallows and Amazons sells domestic and international plane tickets, and travel insurance (Tokio Seguradora). Swallows and Amazons invites travelers to use their services to plan their entire Brazil journey (airfare, insurance, hotels, airport transfers, multilingual guides and tours).
Now when you think of Swallows and Amazons don’t just think Amazonia- that’s where we were born. Think All Brazil now!
Swallows and Amazons is the leader in authentic and alternative adventure travel in the Brazilian Amazon (and other celebrated nature sites in Brazil). Swallows and Amazons offers a range of exciting tour products. Swallows and Amazons offers small group tours at competitive prices. Swallows and Amazons has a genuine ecological and humanitarian interest in these regions and their people. And lastly, Swallows and Amazons continually strives to develop more interesting and safer adventure tour programs for today’s adventurer and eco-traveler.
Swallows and Amazons Tours
Tania and Mark Aitchison, Directors
Avenida Ramos Ferreira, 922Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil 69010-120
Box 523Eastham, Massachusetts USA 02642Tel: 774-316-1468
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.swallowsandamazonstours.com Blog: www.swallowsandamazonstours.blogspot.com